HERB - ephedra

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Oct 19 12:34:37 PDT 2000

What everybody else has said.  It would not be my first choice for weight
loss.  Ephedra works by opening up your bronchei (sp. ?) which allows
more oxygen to get into your blood, thereby upping your blood pressure
and making you feel more energetic.  It goes on the same principal as
caffeine in diet pills, thinking that making you more energetic will make
you forget about food, and have more energy to do things that will make
the weight fall off.  Bunk, I say, none of that works except on a very
limited basis if you are trying to loose 10 pounds so that dress will
fit.  It has a very limited return, and can really cost you honest energy
on the down side.  There are diet teas, if you want to do something more
natural, that also have ephedra in them, but not in such a concentrated
form.  Ephedra works very well in a decongestant formula, and I have
taken the tea for upper respiratory gunk.  It tastes nasty, but does open
you up.  The best 'diet' pills I have found on the shelves of the large
natural food store I work in are called "All-In-One", and contain b-6,
apple cider vinegar(dehydrated), lecithin, grapefruit powder, and kelp.
They really do provide you with more energy, but not the jittery kind,
and do have some effect on fat burning.
	So, be really careful if you do decide to take the straight ephedra, but
consider trying some better suited products first.
	Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, OL, Meridies
	aka Christine Seelye-King
	Health and Education Coordinator
	Sevananda Natural Foods
	Atlanta, GA