HERB - beeswax question

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Mon Oct 23 16:40:52 PDT 2000

Gentle Cousins,

I guess I will weigh in on this subject.  I make such things for a living
and so have some opinions on the topic.  :-)

Is there a reason why the healing oils (I am making an assumption that
there will be herbs infused into an oil that have the healing properties
desired) need to be thickened?  I find that in my business that in general
the men prefer to use the healing oils as they are less thick and "greasy".
 My lord (an "old beat-up knight") doesn't really like use my Weekend
Warrior Balm (thickened with beeswax) on his back, but he will gratefully
use the Weekend Warrior Massage Oil.

If there is a reason, you could do several things.  You could use
Emulsifiying Wax as a thickener.  You could even use the e-wax and make
lotion.  It will only keep for a day or so outside the fridge but it is
nice.   But that is another story.

Or you could use an oil that starts out hard like coconut oil, palm kernal
oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, or palm oil.  You have to
infuse over heat, but I generally do that anyway.  Then strain and allow to
harden naturally.

BTW, there are lots of types of beeswax out there.  I use a natural one
with bee pooh and all.  I have seen beeswax pastilles which are tiny and
white with no scent they have been cleaned so much.

I would not not not use any petroleum products like parafin, mineral oil,
or vasoline on challenged skin.  Petroleum products are drying and
generallly yucky.

Sources for these things are on line lots of places.  Rainbow Meadows, From
Nature With Love, www.the-sage.com, and tons more.

LMK if you have questions,

Baroness Leonora

At 11:33 AM 10/23/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have an acquantance who wants to make an herbal skin salve for her
>husband.   Her problem is that her recipie calls for beeswax, and her
>husband is allergic to it.
>What would be suitable substitues for the beeswax?
>
>Melandra

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

 Doing the right thing starts first thing in the morning, Sparky.  Not
after you are caught.
                              -John Criton, FarScape