HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #515

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 12:52:06 PDT 2000

I hate ants.  As a girl, I watched the small, black ants infesting a house &
yard gradually turn aggressive...due, I am convinced, to "selective
breeding" that resulted from the heavy use of pesticides to combat them!

Ants navigate by scent.  If you lay down a line of strong-smelling herb (I
prefer black pepper, as the smell doesn't fade as quickly as -- say --
powdered cloves), they can not cross it.  (Their little neurons can't figure
out HOW.)  So *if* you know where the ants are coming in, you can
effectively put up a barriar.  (I have often had a line of black pepper
sprinkled accross my threshold and in my window sills.  Tape can be used to
hold it to vertical surfaces, like up the sides of a doorway or around an
electrical outlet.)  And it is not poisonous to humans or pets.  (Or ants
for that matter...)
--Katherine B.