HERB - wound healing & honey

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Thu Sep 7 09:39:37 PDT 2000

Grania posted:

>Fortunately, the realm of science as fact rather than fiction
>has prevailed and we now acknowledge bedsores as being caused by a
>breakdown in the circulation to the site.

Sugar pack treatements today are still used for sores, especially
bed sores and sores from diabetes related problems. And it's used
because it works.

>I guess some old wives tales just linger on.  BTW, one of the reasons you
>never give honey to an infant is that it is full of botulism spores that
>most adults can fend off, but someone with a weak or compromised immune
>system doesn't have a chance against.  That's my understanding anyway.

Full of botulism spores might be a bit of an exaggeration. Honey *can*
contain it, but not all honey does necessarily. Wound treatment and
internal consumption are two different things, however. Your
understanding about the immune system is essentially correct,
I believe. But you can't make the same association for wounds.

Jasmine