Fiber (was:Re: Diabetes was Re: [Herbalist] Aloh)

Liadan Liadan at bigfoot.com
Wed Aug 1 15:41:08 PDT 2001

> I suspect that when people think of "fiber supplement" and "laxative"
> they're generally thinking of two vastly different volumes of fiber.
> Taking a regular fiber supplement will help you maintain overall good
> healthy bowels - as well as easing other digestive problems, and being
> good for your heart.  But at that level, it won't have *any* immediate
> laxative effect.

yes, and I think it does depend largely on the amount you take...

.....while a small amount of fiber can help ease digestive/bowel problems, I
was always lead to believe that larger amounts can have a negative effect.
The main concern I have heard people having is that the body sort of gets
used to not having to work as hard if you give it too much fiber over a long
period of time... it can lead to quite the opposite of the problem that it
was originally taken for.  causing the bowel muscles to become slackened and
other problems.

> Most people in this country really don't come close to eating the
> recommended amount of fiber.

You hear a lot about the "Recommended intake" of things (Calcium, Fiber,
iron whetever it may be).... and I actually don't believe in them.  In my
opinion they are mostly far too high, and I take the opinion that if a good
balanced diet doesn't provide the same level of whatever it is, then how
were we designed to get that extra amount before we were able to produce
tablets or even measure it?  Most that I have seen would make it virtually
impossible for anyone with a normal healthy diet to eat enough to get those
amounts.

And yes, I know that we live a lot longer these days than we did hundreds of
years ago.  But it is my opinion (and I stress the *my opinion*) that if you
eat a healthy balanced diet, of plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (and
meat), you don't need to take suppliments (of anything).  I believe you
should only start taking suppliments if your diet is insufficient in some
way.  But I still disagree with most (if not all) of those "Recommended
daily intake" amounts...

> Since fiber helps speed food through your system, many vitamins that are
> transported through your intestines via fat (vitamin A, vitamin E, etc.)
> get rushed through too quickly and don't get absorbed.

That's why a lot of people go on high fiber diets to loose weight, as if
food doesn't stay in your system as long, so it can't absorb as much
fat...unfortunately if the fat goes out quickly, so do most of the nutrients
too..

I am from Australia... and I have noticed that there is a lot more emphasis
placed on fibber and bowel care (for want of a better term) in America than
there is here.  Whether that be a good thing or not, I have no idea.  You
never hear of colonic irrigations and stuff here...

Liadan