HERB - Question about the origins about vanilla

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Fri Feb 2 20:10:09 PST 2001

Elewyiss wrote:

>Lady Iasmin,

Please, just "Iasmin" is fine.

>Do  you know how vanilla grows in North America? It sounds like and
>interesting vine.

To start with, vanilla is a member of the orchid family. It's a tropical
plant. As far as I know, there is no commercial cultivation of vanilla in
North America at all. However, I know for a fact that it does grow in
North America because several organizations list it on their rare fruit
growing lists (cf. the California Rare Fruit Growers).

The vine abhors wind and prefers warm temperatures and partial shade.
Recreating the tropical climes to grow this orchid in North America
would prove quite a challenge without the use of a greenhouse.

Iasmin

Iasmin de Cordoba, iasmin at home.com