HERB - Question about the origins about vanilla

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Feb 6 16:46:57 PST 2001

> Most research that I've found on vanilla waits until a mosquito's
> breath past 1600 to account for the sole use of vanilla as a sole
> flavoring agent without chocolate. The basics of the plants
> cultivation is essentially the same, however. The plant is is really
> a vine growing on a tree or some other bush on which the vanilla vine
> can grow.

Somewhere I read that the use of vanilla wasn't very widespread until the
introduction of new hand-pollinating techniques made the it easier to grow
large quantities sometime in the 1800's.

However, the CA on cosmetics says that vanilla was a known perfume scent
in late period, so I'm confused.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"