HERB - colds and flu

Sara K. Tallarovic electricfish at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 08:37:13 PST 2001

>Greetings good gentles...
>
>Cecille de Baskervyl here with a question.....
>
>If you had a cold or the flu during the Middle Ages, what was the name
>given for this condition?
>
>In other words...Does anyone know what the Medieval synonyms for "Cold"
>and "Flu" might have been?
>
>I can only find the words catarrh and consumption(T.B. ?).
>
>Thank You,
>
>Cecille

Hi Cecille, Shu'la here.  I mostly lurk on this list, as I have a
long-standing interest in herbalism but haven't been actively doing much
with it for some time.  Have you checked the Florilegium?  I know someone
sent an entire list of medieval names for various maladies to one of the
mailing lists several years ago...might have been Cooks?  Or it might have
been longer ago than several years, back when there was ONE SCA mailing
list (egads, I'm old!).  Anyway, it might be in the florilegium somewhere:

http://www.florilegium.org/

If not, you may try posting that question to either SCA-Cooks or some of
the other lists.  Or email Stefan from the Florilegium page and see if he
may know.  He is a wealth of information.

Good luck!  I'd like to see that list again, as many of the names were
really interesting!

-Shu'la (Saar-rah Al-Sabbirah)
Bryn Gwlad, Ansteorra