[Herbalist] bitter

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Thu Jul 12 16:38:28 PDT 2001

Don't know that very many spices would be considered bitter, except in
excess (e.g. nutmeg).

However, there were a variety of herbs used that were bitter.  Bitter
herbs were generally considered digestive stimulants, and there are
several tonics that are quite bitter.  When quassia was introduced to
Europe, one popular use was cups in which water was allowed to stand to
take on the bitter and curative principles of the wood.  Most of the
artemisias are bitter - wormwood being the classic example - but
southernwood and mugwort are also bitter.  Rue is also very bitter, but
was used as a pot herb in some circumstances.  In fact, I believe
wormwood and rue are two of the bitter herbs used in certain Jewish
rituals (Someone correct me if I am wrong - I am not very familiar with
Jewish tradition).

Many of the herbs used for agues and periodic fevers (malaria and
related) are bitter, and I get the impression that bitterness was
considered one of the theraputic properties.  Also some of the other
vermifuges besides wormwood are quite bitter.

I also have the impression that bitterness, per se, was not considered a
*bad thing* necessarily, just another taste.  Having used a bitter tonic
at one time for a particular problem, I noticed that by the third or
fourth day, it only seemed bitter, not awful and bitter.  So I could see
how a palate accustomed to a boring diet might relish bitter as a
different taste.

Many greens are bitter in varying degrees - e.g. mustard, collard,
dandelion, dock, spinich, lambs quarters, some lettuces and cabbages
(Brussels sprouts) - I'm sure everyone can think of others.  But these
are commonly eaten with gusto.

I think you can turn up a good list of bitter things that were well
used.....
Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)