Diabetes was Re: [Herbalist] Aloh

lynette lklc at prodigy.net
Tue Jul 31 17:33:09 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jenne Heise" <jenne at mail.browser.net>
To: <herbalist at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Diabetes was Re: [Herbalist] Aloe

> > Psyllium is a dietary fiber. Fiber works in the GI tract as a bulking
and binding
> > agent.

> So basically we're talking about the bulimic laxative abuse diet here?

Eating a dietary fiber and abusing laxatives are two entirely different
things.  Bulimia not only involves purging (with laxatives, enemas, or
emesis) but generally has another component of bingeing.

Bulimic behavior is dangerous and life threatening in time.

Use of fiber in the diet is a good thing for anyone.  Psycillium is only one
way of adding this to a diet.  Psycillium is listed in drug references as a
laxative because it is sometimes prescribed for persons with problems of
constipation.  However, it is very different from true drug laxatives.