[Herbalist] Re: contents of traveling herbalist basket

Warren & Meredith Harmon corwynsca at juno.com
Fri Jun 1 15:02:54 PDT 2001

Greetings!

For those who live in the fire ant zones, something to have in your
herbalist basket is a large bag of uncooked grits.

Yep.

I learned this from a Scadian in Texas: the fire ants think the grits are
food, and grab the stuff and take it back to their dens.  Then they eat
it.  Then they explode.  No more problems.

Now, normally I don't advocate killing things that you're not going to
eat, but I have two exceptions to this rule: 1) anything that's an
imported species, and 2) anything that bites me.  I feel I have the
unalienable right to bite back - and, since I'm bigger, I have a lot more
power behind my bite.

In case you're wondering, it works the same as Grape Nuts (tm) work in
our stomach: add moisture, and the grains expand exponentially.  Smaller
critter, smaller stomach.  That's why the grits must be *uncooked*, else
it doesn't work.

-Caro the normally non-bloodthirsty, but I've had too many run-ins with
fire ants