[Herbalist] PGA?

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Tue Jun 5 07:53:59 PDT 2001

> > > Pure Grain Alcohol.
> > Hm.. does the scientist speculate that it is the additives in the wood
> > alcohol that supposedly makes it unhealthy, or just the wood alcohol
> > itself in rubbing alcohol?
> <>
> > Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

The alcohol itself.  Ethanol, ethyl alcohol, our standard alcohol, has the
simplest possible side chain on the alcohol molecule.  Methyl alcohol,
isopropyl alcohol etc. add more complex carbon side chains.  They are
progressively more toxic if ingested.  The additives probably make you gag
and stop drinking, which would be a very good thing.

Agnes