[Herbalist] Digging for information (longish)

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 12:12:32 PDT 2001

>From: "tegangwyllt" <tegangwyllt at mail.ev1.net>
>08:36 -0500
>
>Greetings all,
>
>Ok, I have done the best bit of gardening in my life!!  <Snip>So now I need
>help with
>what to do with it all.  Here's what I've got...

>Catnip - one of the plants is about 8 in. tall now and starting to
>flower.  The rest are about 4 - 6 in.  When should I harvest
>this?  What do I do with it after I do harvest it (besides keep it
>from my 4 cats :P)?

Like most mints, it makes a tasty tea.  You can harvest it anytime.  This is
a weed.  Once the plant is established, you can pretty much harvest as much
as you like without harming it.  (I planted one last fall that was
immediately cut down to the ground.  It grew back all green in the spring.)

>Lavender - it is also about 6in. tall and starting to flower.  But
>the flowers are white, is that ok?  I love the smell of lavender,
>but don't know any practical applications for it as an herbal.

One of the best "practical" applications I know of is to cut the flowers &
bring them in the house!  Room-freshening is a legitimite use -- ask the
people at Pledge!

>Camomile(sp) - these are just to the point of being bushy, but no
>flowers as of yet.  I know that I can make a soothing tea from
>camomille(sp), but I don't know from which part.  Also, when do I
>harvest it?

Isn't it great?  I love "squishing" it at this stage!

The tea is made from the flowers.

>Mint - these are just tiny vines at the moment.  And they're in
>the same pot as my catnip.  Is this bad for the catnip?  Also,
>what can I do w/ the mint?  I don't remember if it's spearmint or
>peppermint, could I tell by looking?

No, but you can tell by tasting/smelling.  If it reminds you a candy-cane,
that's peppermint.  If it reminds you of chewing-gum, that's spearming.  (In
my experience, the "candy-cane" taste is quite strong & unmistakeable.)
Mint is great in teas -- or as an additive to your favorite black tea... or
coffe grounds, if you prefer.  It goes great with dishes like lamb, and is
often used in deserts.  Add a fresh sprig to iced-tea and lemonade.  Put a
(freshly washed) leaf in each icecube tray before making ice, etc.

>Basil - I know to cook w/ this one, but when do I harvest it?  I
>have one plant in particular that is about 5 in. tall now.

Harvest when you need basil.  "Cutting down" the tall center stalk will
result in a lower, bushier plant.  (When I was growing potted basil, this
was always desiarable.)  I have found it pretty hard to kill.  Take what you
need, when you need.

>Parsley - what does it mean when some of the plants start to turn
>red at the base?  When do I harvest these?

Cut it when the leaves look parsley-sized (like the fresh stuff in the
grocery) and you need parsley.  Be sure to let some go to seed.  (At least,
that's what my grandmother taught me.

--Katherine Blackthorne