[Herbalist] Apple mint

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Wed Jun 6 14:16:56 PDT 2001

>I have a huge bed of apple mint that is ready for harvesting.  I have thought
>of drying the leaves for teas but are there any other good suggestions or
>recipes out there?

Iced tea with some lemon balm would make a nice combination with this
mint. Mint syrup, per the recipe suggested too, I agree. I'm not that fond
of it, but I've seen mint sauces made with it. And I've also seen the mint
used in baked goods, like scones and little cakes. The leaves of this can
be candied too and used as decoration. Or dried for other things like tea.

Sorry. I'm rambling here with ideas that I'd consider.

>I also have an abundance of borage the has reseeded itself.

"I, borage, bring courage." Actually, that's a bad translation of the
original. The others are right, it's very often used in period recipes.
A great addition to salads. The flowers are really quite lovely and
would be worth learning to candy, I would think.

It was actually a pretty popular plant in period medicine too.

>Alana of Loch Mor
>(Iasmine, you are welcome to a bunch of it!)

WOOO!  I win! I love my barony and the people in it! They grow plants
and they think of me.

So do I get the mint or the borage? :-D

Iasmin