[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist digest, Vol 1 #31 - 3 msgs

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jun 22 01:24:52 PDT 2001

Options of control
Greetings Christina,
a kinder means of ridding pests of an herb garden?

kinder to whom, the environment ,you or the bug

  I have catipillars on my dill and small gray green
bugs on my coriander
guess whoese just writing a report on pest management.
Options of control

small gray green bugs Sound like aphids

Organic; general organic insecticide Pyrethrum (which
kills all insects. Pests; predators and
parasites) and Potassium salts (fatty acids) Oil
sprays also control aphids.or wash them off with a
little detergent and water
Cultural or Physical control "digital" control
"squish "em" and weed control, removing alternative
hosts or even primary hosts
Biological Control; parasitic wasps (usually of the
Hymenopterous Families Aphidiidae, Aphelinidae, or
Braconidae)
Aphid predators. Ladybird beetles and larvae
(Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) the larvae of lacewings-
Micromus tasmaniae (Neuroptera: Hemerobiidae).
hoverflies larvae (Diptera: Syrphidae)
An aphid fungus, Entomophthora aphidis attacks some
species, notably the cabbage aphid.

Caterpillars

·	Organic; derris dust
·	Cultural/physical; Destruction of weeds and crop
debris can reduce the number of overwintering stages,
Digital removal
·	Biological; Bacillus thuringiensis
·	Parasitic wasp Apanteles ruficrus) pupal cocoons,
Litomastix sp.-larval parasite (tiny Encyrtid wasp)
·	Some Viruses are used for Biological Control as
well.

=====