HERB - medieval gardens

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Mar 12 14:17:49 PST 2001

> NO! I haven't!
> Romping over to the library!!!!!!!!
> You would not believe some of the things I have read about gardens!
> One book I was reading said that there were no gardens in the "dark
> ages".
> Of so like I am using _that_ book!
> Rhiannon

Obviously, you also want Frank Crisp's _Mediaeval Gardens_ (his entire
life's hobby: collecting pictures of Medieval Gardens. He died in 1924;
imagine what he would have been like in the 50's and 60's slide show
circuit!), and Penelope Hobhouse _Plants in Garden History_, which
actually reproduces a period picture of a flower arrangement (symbolic, of
course).
Right now I'm reading the very entertaining _Charleston Kedding: A history
of Kitchen Gardening_ which concentrates on postperiod, but has some
interesting sidelights into period practice.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."