[Herbalist] REQ: bruise juice recipie or similar tintures or remidies.

Christina Bean tbean at one.net.au
Tue May 8 18:29:04 PDT 2001

I think that one was mine. If not here is what I use in my bruise cream. We
sell this each year at Rowany Festival in Lochac and it sells very well and
is very effective.
Caristiona

Bruise Cream
40 ml water
20ml of oil (which has had St. Johns Wort, Comfrey and Calendula soaking in
it, in the sun for four weeks).
25 gm of bees wax.

Combine the wax and oil and heat until the wax is melted. Heat the water in
a separate pot until it is ready to boil. Combine the water and wax/ oil
mixture. Mix the cream until it is cold. You need to do this to make sure
that it does not start to separate as it cools. If you use a mixer in the
early stages it can save your arm a bit, but for large amounts the cream
gets thick enough to break a hand mixer.

Period Creams
“Take Oile of Roses, Oile of St. Johns Wort of either one pinte, the leaves
of Tabaco stamped small in a stone mortar two pounds; boile them together to
the consumption of the juice, straine it and put it to the fire againe,
adding there unto of Venice turpentine two ounces, or Olibanum and Masticke
of either halfe an ounce, in most fine and subtil pouder: the which you may
at all times make an unguent or salve, by putting thereto wax and rosin to
give unto it a stiffe body, which worketh exceedingly well in malignant and
virulent ulcers, as in wounds and punctures.”
Gerard

“The leaves, floures, and seeds stamped, and put into a glasse with oile
olive, and set in the hot sun for certane weeks together, and the strained
from those herbs, and the like quantitie of new put in and sunned in like
manner, doth make oile of the colour bloud, which is a most pretious remedie
for deep wounds…”
Gerard

The Herbs

Calendula
 “ The floures and leaves of Marigolds being distilled, and the water
dropped into red and watery eies, ceaseth the inflammation, and taketh away
the pain.”
Gerard

“they use it for the bites of snakes, spiders, vipers and other reptiles,
administering it in wine or anointing the place with it mixed with olive
oil.”
Theophrastus

“Scorpioides, is a little herb, having few lwaves, and like ye tails of a
scorpion, but being smeared on they help mightily ye scorpion- smitten.”
Dioscoridies

Calendula officinalis Modern actions for Calendula include; astringent,
anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic antifungal, cholagogue and an emmenagogue
it also has uses for skin inflammations, wounds, burns, digestive upsets and
painful periods.
Mills
Comfrey
“The leaves stamped take away bruises and swellings proceeding of some
stroke, if they be stamped and laid thereon; whereupon it was called in old
time bruisewort.
Gerard

“... it helpeth to gather broken bones. It is hot and moist.”
An Herbal
.
Symphytum officinalis Modern actions for Comfrey include: stimulating bone
and skin growth, soothing and astringent. It is useful for healing local
wounds, strains and bone fractures.
Mills

St. Johns Wort (Hypericum)
“...doth make an oile of the colour of bloud, which is a most pretious
remedie for deep wounds…”
Gerard

“This is called St. John’s-wort. The virtue of it is thus. If it be put in a
man’s house, there shall come no wicked spirit therein.”
An Herbal

Hypericum perforatum Gentle calming effect. The oil has a local analgesic
effect, and is slightly antiseptic. It is useful for states of anxiety, and
depression, also for light burns and other external wounds.
Hoffman

These herbs have been combined to make a bruise cream. They were used in
period for as wound healers and can be used for that same purpose now. We
have used herbs that have a similar purpose now due to the safety factor.
Herbs are not necessarily safe because they are natural so we have been very
conscious about using herbs that have modern as well as medieval
applications. This ensures their safety. Even so this cream should not be
put on broken skin and should not be taken internally.

Hayfever and Asthma Syrup.
This one can be used as a soothing syrup for when you wake up with a sore
throat from sitting around the fire singing all night. It is useful for
asthma and as symptomatic relief from the sore throat of hayfever. Hayfever
is an allergic reaction and no period style remedy is going to give long
term relief for the condition. The syrup below will help but it will not
stop the runny nose and the sore eyes. If you have long term problems with
hayfever I suggest you see a doctor.

1 kg water
1kg sugar
1 handful each of Liquorice, Thyme and Plantain

Bring the water and herbs to the boil. After the herbs and water have
simmered for 10 minutes add the sugar. Dissolve all the sugar then strain
the mixture. Let the syrup cool. Syrups were taken like cordials, a small
amount in water.

Period Syrups.
“…Syrup made of it boiled in water and sugar is good for all the aforesaid…”
An Herbal

“…aegilops having a drying faculty, straining therefore, ye herb sodden with
ye roots in water, until the decoction be wasted two-thirds, mix therewith
as much honey and seeth it, until it get the thickness of moist honey…”
Dioscorides

“Take Roses at your pleasure, put them to boyle in faire water….the water
hath gotten the tincture thereof; the shall you adde unto one pound of
Roses, foure pound of fine sugar in pure pouder, and so according to the
rest of the Roses. Thus shall you let them boyle gently after the sugar is
put thereto, continually stirring it with a woodden Spatula untill it be
cold…”
Gerard

“A syrup is a medicine of a liquid form….Take the herb…and bruise it a
little; then boil it in…boil it till half the water be consumed, then let it
stand till it be almost cold, …to every pint of this decoction add one pound
of sugar, and boil it over the fire till it come to a syrup…Thus you have
the syrup perfected.”
Culpeper
The Herbs
Liquorice
Licoricia is an herbe Þat men clepe licoris. Þis herbe is swet and Þe vertue
of Þis herbe is Þat it wele moyst kendely Þe herte of man and Þer-fore it is
good for Þe cowз Also it wele makyn a mannys brest and his throte moyst.
Also зef it be sothen in water and drounkyn it wele distroye manys thryst
and Þe dryhede Þat is in hym.
Agnus Castus.

In like manner, also, this same wort healeth sores of the brest, and of the
liver, and of the bladder, and of the kidneys, if sodden in wine. ..
Herbarium Apuleii Platonici
Glycyrrhiza glabra Applications to: respiratory infections and dry or
asthmatic coughs; as a systemic anti-inflammatory….Caution do not use this
herb if you are on any blood pressure medication.
Mills
Psyllium
Plantago Maior is an herbe Þat me clepe plantayn or weybrode…if a man drynke
the juys of Þis herbe hit schal amende Þe sikenesse with-ynne a man and hit
schal make hym  have a hol breest….
Agnus Castus

Psullion…It hath a refrigerating faculty: being laid on with Rosaceum or
acetum, or water, it helps ye Arthritic, ye Parotidas, Tumors, Oedemata,
luxations, ye headache…
Dioscoridies.

For every days tenderness of a man inwardly, let him take then waybread, put
it in wine, and sip the juice and eat the waybread; then it is good for any
inward unheal.
Herbarium Apuleii Platonici

Plantago major  Applications: dry and nervous coughs and bronchitis.
Mills
Thyme
Thyme…But it hath a faculty being drunk with salt and Acetum to drive out
fleagmie matter through ye belly But ye decoction of it with hony doth help
ye Orthopnoeici & ye asthmaticall…

…The ooze of this wort well wrung, and a cup full drunk, by the common
necessary and by spewing forces out all the bitterness which cometh of the
gall. This same wort removes all the evil gatherings of the inwards.
Herbarium Apuleii Platonici

Thymus vulgaris Applications: for relaxing and making fluid respiratory
conditions marked by tension, dryness and irritability, including asthmatic
symptoms.
Mills

References

Campion, K. Vegetarian Encyclopedia. Leopard Books, UK. 1995.
Culpeper’s Complete Herbal  1653 Wordsworth    Reference UK. 1995
 Gunther, RT. Ed.  The Greek Herbal of Dioscorides 512AD, Englished by John
Goodyer 1655.
Hafner Publishing Co. USA. 1959.
Healy, JF. Ed.  Pliny the Elder: Natural History, a   selection. 77 AD.
Penguin Books. UK. 1991
Hoffmann, D. The New Holistic Healer.  Element Inc. USA. 1991.
Mills, S. The A-Z of Modern Herbalism. Thorsons Publishers Ltd. UK. 1989.
Ody, P. The Complete Medicinal Herbal. Dorling Kindersley Ltd. UK. 1993.
Ordronaux, J. Ed. Regimen Sanitatis
Salernitaunm: Code of Health of the School of    Salernum. 1530,  JB.
Lippincott and Co. UK 1870.
Pyles, T. and Larcky, S. Ed. An Herbal 1525. Scholars’ Facsimiles and
Reprints. USA 1978.
Shakespeare, W. The complete works of William Shakespeare Spring Books,
London
Smith, K.V.The Illustrated Earth Garden Herbal. McPhersons Printing Group.
Australia 1994.
Spurling, H. Elinor Fettiplaces’s Receipt Book Penguin Books UK. 1987.
Woodward, M. Ed.  Leaves from Gerard’s Herball. 1597, Dover Publications.
USA This Ed. 1969
Agnus Castus: A Middle English Herbal, Reconstructed from various
manuscripts. Ed. Brodin, G. Cambridge, Mass. Harvard University Press. USA.
1965
Leechdoms, Wortcunning and Starcraft of Early England: Being a collection of
documents, for the most part never before printed, illustrating the history
of science in this country before the Norman Conquest. Collected and Edited
by Cockayne, T. O. The Holland Press UK. 1961.