[Herbalist] REQ: bruise juice recipie or similar tintures or remidies.

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Mon May 21 16:16:29 PDT 2001

Melandra wrote:

>So, what was used to make lids tight???   I thought of wrapping string
>soaked in beeswax around the edges of a stopper, but I haven't a clue as to
>if it is period or not....

Some of the research I've read suggests that lids were stoppered with
rags. Sometimes stuff was tied on, say a piece of fabric or paper tied
on. Sometimes lids were created specifically for the jars (there are
some neat pictures in ... oooh, I've forgotten the governmental? agency
... National Institute of Medicine? oh shoot, I'll check). I honestly have
not a clue about the period-ness of the additional use of beeswax to seal a
jar that has a stopper, but I can tell you I've done it before. It works
okay, but takes a bit of fussing to really get it to work right.

Iasmin