[Herbalist] herb recipes

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed May 30 09:03:52 PDT 2001

Ok, here is the best Herbal remedy recipie I have ever personally tested.
It is from "Growing and Using the Healing Herbs"  by Gaea and Shandor Weiss,
from Rodale Press.

	"Bee Sting and Insect Bite Lotion
For those times that the bugs get to you, here is a lotion to apply: In a
large bowl, combine 2 pints of rubbing alcohol with 1 ounce dried echinacea
root, 1 ounce dried plantain leaves, 1/2 ounce yellow dock root, and 1 bulb
of chopped or pressed, peeled garlic.  Cover the bowl with a plate or
plastic wrap and let the mixture stand in a dark place for one week, shaking
it daily.  Strain and pour the mixture into a dark or opaque bottle.  Apply
it as a wash and / or a small poultice, using a piece of cotton gauze."

( I use an opaque gallon milk jug to make this, it is neater and easier to
shake that way.  We have also recently heard that a German scientist is
advising against using rubbing alcohol on skin, so PGA might be substitued,
but I have no corroborating evidence of this. )
I can't emphasize how wonderful this stuff is.  We have had two different
cases of Brown Recluse Spider bites to deal with, and this has been the
difference between loosing massive amounts of tissue and a small, pink scar.
(My Lord was one of these cases.  He was bitten just below one cheek right
over his sciatic nerve.  The doctors said, "come back every other day and we
will debride the necrotic tissue" [scrape off the dead stuff].  As we were
concerned about the location and his being able to walk, I started applying
the above lotion twice daily, and in 2 weeks he had nothing left but a
small, pink scar, which is totally gone now.  Brown Recluse bites inject a
digestive enzyme, which kills off the tissue so the spider can suck it out.
My lord's mother developed a hole big enough to put two fists into in her
leg before the cause was diagnosed and dealt with.  Needless to say, we
weren't anxious to kid around with it.)  The lotion is also very effective
on any stinging type of insect bite, mosquito, fire ant, bee, wasp, etc.  I
made this for Christmas  3 years ago and gave it to friends, and last year
had to make a new batch because everyone wanted more!  I travel with it in
my Pharmacopea, in a small pump-spray bottle.  It comes in very handy at
events.  There is another recipie for an Herbal Insect Repellant with it,
which we have found to be useless.  You never know until you try it, I
guess.

Mistress Christianna MacGrain, OP, Meridies