[Herbalist] Iasmin's Current 4 Favorite Balm Recipes

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Thu Oct 4 19:45:21 PDT 2001

These notes are not complete. They do not tell you actually how to
make the balms and they do not give you any historical info from
period manuscripts. They assume you have the table I posted earlier
today so you know how much wax you need for the final amount of oil
you end up with. I can post the instructions for making the balms if
people want. I can also post the historical info and bibliography I
used if you're interested, but these recipes should get you by for
now. If you have questions, please let me know how I can help you.--
Iasmin

A Very Brief Intro
------------------
The medieval recipes I've found for balms are used to treat a variety
of symptoms, many of which we would consider quite normal occurrences
(e.g. pregnancy, menstruation, irritability from lack of sleep). I've
chosen several combinations that, while not specifically listed in
any period manual I own, contain herbs that are referenced in period
manuscripts. I consider all to be useful as a form of comfort,
similar to that of over-the-counter preparations, available to the
medievalist.

You should always know your ingredients thoroughly. For all the
ingredients listed here, use your judgement as to whether or not it
should be included in a recipe. I strongly encourage you to research
the scientific information available on an ingredient before you use
a balm. If you have any doubt as to the safety of an ingredient, do
not use it.

The balms and salves discussed here are assumed to be creations
intended for comfort, not cosmetic or comestic, use. Keep in mind
that the information contained herein is not intended to substitute
for your own common sense caution (especially if you have a history
of allergies) or for the treatment of a licensed health care provider.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR LICENSED IN ANY HEALTH CARE PROFESSION. IF YOU
ARE INJURED OR BELIEVE YOU NEED MEDICAL TREATMENT, SEEK THAT
TREATMENT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TREAT YOURSELF.

Bruise Balm
-----------
This is the most popular balm I make. Fighters in our martial arts
program have all commented on how well it works to speed the healing
of their bruises. Their doctors have commented on how well it work
also. The first two herbal ingredients are standard ones I always
have on hand because they strongly encourage healing of bruised
muscles. The third herbal ingredient varies depending on my mood and
the availability of the herbs at the time, but is always chosen for
its helpfulness on bruises and sprains.

1 cup dried Juniper berries, crushed or roughly ground (Juniperus communius)
1 cup dried Arnica flowers (Arnica montana)
1 cup dried Bay Leaves (Anthimus nobilis)
Oil to cover
Wax to thicken

St. John's Wort Salve
--------------------
This is a good all-purpose salve for minor nicks, cuts, scratches,
abrasions, itchy spots, and insect bites. When using any preparation
using St. John's Wort, keep in mind that some individuals react
strongly to the plant when they spend long periods of time in the
sun. Avoid prolonged direct exposure to sunlight if you make and use
this salve.

1 cup dried St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
1 cup dried Calendula flowers (Calendula officinalis)
1 cup dried Plantain (Plantago spp.)
3 tablespoons crushed and powdered Myrrh resin (Commiphora myrrha)
Oil to cover
Wax to thicken

Aromatic Sports Rub
-------------------
My commercial container of Tiger Balm (Non-Staining Ultra Strength),
lists menthol and camphor as its active ingredients with essential
oils of cajeput, mint (dementholized), clove, and cassia as other
ingredients. All are combined in a paraffin base in the original.
Here's the combination of essential oils I use:

6 teaspoons Cajeput (Melaluca leucadendra)
3 1/2 teaspoons Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora) essential oil
3 teaspoons Peppermint (Mentha peperita) essential oil
3 teaspoons Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) essential oil
2 teaspoons Cassia (Cinnamomum aromaticum) essential oil
Wax to thicken

In a pinch, use cinnamon essential oil in place of cassia. If you
can't find cajeput essential oil (I obtained it via mail order) omit
it from the recipe and increase the camphor, peppermint, and clove
oil amounts by roughly 2 teaspoons each.

Analgesic Balm
--------------
My commercial container of White Flower (White Flower Analgesic Balm)
lists menthol and essential oils of wintergreen, camphor, eucalyptus,
lavender, and peppermint as the main ingredients, with wax as a
thickener. Here is the combination of essential oils I use to
recreate this balm:

3 1/2 teaspoons Peppermint essential oil
2 1/2 teaspoons Wintergreen (synthetic Gualtheria promcumbens) essential oil
3 1/2 teaspoons Camphor (Cinnamomum camphora) essential oil
2 1/2 teaspoons Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) essential oil
1 teaspoon Lavender essential oil
Wax to thicken

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of wintergreen essential
oil available on the market today is synthetic due to the toxicity of
pure wintergreen oil. Some critics believe that even the synthetic
oil poses a health risk. Read the research literature and decide for
yourself.