[Herbalist] Spam

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:48:24 PDT 2001

OK, I replied quickly without reading everyone else's responses!  Sorry!

Now, in fairness, I can kind of get where our original poster is coming
from.

When I had a connection at home, it was (due to my Mediaeval computer) a
Sloooow connection.  Took about 15 minutes to download my e-mail.  Longer if
it contained pictures/graphics/anything that made it larger than a couple K.
  Since I had a small, local provider I didn't get much Spam.  But then
someone signed me up for a newsletter... Every time one came, I had to call
my ISP & ask them to delete it, because with my connection I couldn't
download it... or anything behind it.  And because I couldn't receive
it/load the page, I couldn't unsubscribe!

In an SCA mailing list, several people got involved in a lengthy, off-topic
discussion.  Someone on the list asked them to take it up privately, and
they refused, saying if someone wasn't interested, they could hit the delete
key.  Well, I was hitting the delete key, about 10 times a day on this
thread alone.  And it was costing me a great deal of money to spend hours
downloading this useless stuff that I had no interest in.

So maybe this person is in a similar situation, and this is why it is such a
problem for her.

Anyway, that was my stint at playing Devil's Advocate.  How did I do? :)

That said, my preference is to leave the list as it is.  I really do think
the Spam issue is relatively minor.

--Katherine Blackthorne