[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist digest, Vol 1 #101 - 2 msgs

Norma Jean Storms stormsno at oplin.lib.oh.us
Mon Oct 15 12:35:13 PDT 2001

That is a good description, I used to think of them as just bumpy but I won't
any more ;-)

As to shelling them, a friend of mine used to leave them in his gravel driveway
and drive over them to remove the nuts from the husks,  It keeps the stains off
your hands, floors, tables, etc.  I'd suggest putting them in a non paper bag
and something that's leak proof.

Once you extract the nuts, they are fairly easy to crack with vice grips.  My
mom used to do it on a slab of iron with a hammer.  The first way is much
quieter.  The nuts are tasty in fudge, molasses cookies, 7 layer cookies, and a
myriad of other things.  Wow I haven't had black walnuts in a long time.  Not
everyone likes the flavor of them so is you do use them, try using them lightly
the first time around.
Good luck.

Ciao,
Francesca