[Herbalist] RE: Black Dye

LadyPDC@aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 13:16:33 PDT 2001

In a message dated 10/15/2001 7:32:26 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
wyllowmacm at netscape.net writes:

> On wool and silk: The ancient favorite was the three-step method: indigo,
> then madder, then Weld (or another strong yellow).  My Madder pots are
> cursed, so this never worked as well for me - but it was used for centuries
> as the only decent (and expensive!) way to make black.  There were some
> historical comments that indicated that it did not work as well on the
> new-fangled cotton fiber.

Do you have any reference information on this???   I have a friend who has
been trying to do wool and silk dying but only knew of the walnut method.
She is the type who wants to have the research and documentation stuff in
front of her to read.  So if you could tell me where to tell her to go to
find it, I would much appreciate it.

Constance de la Rose