[Herbalist] RE: Walnut Hulls

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 11:03:30 PDT 2001

Wyllow,

I agree entirely with what you said.  As long at the artisan demonstrated in
their documentation that they knew that they were using a local substitute,
this substitution would be entirely appropriate for a dyeing project.  In
fact, if the primary purpose was dyeing, it would be better, IMO, than
purchased dye from English walnuts because the dyer would be reproducing the
complete process.

If the dyeing was secondary to the use of the yarn or fabric (for a weaving
project, for instance), I think either would be equally acceptable,
especially since I think other factors would have more influence on
variations in shade.  In fact, I was once shown how drastic a difference the
water used in dyeing can make to the end result.

Raisya Khorivovna (who has madder seed, among others, waiting for a place to
grow them)