[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist digest, Vol 1 #231 - 6 msgs

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Aug 20 14:22:16 PDT 2002

In a message dated 20/08/02 1:06:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
herbalist-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> I make them for all my friends with flax seeds and either lavender or
> rosemary...or both.  I get my flax seed at the local bulk grocery (or
> health
> food store) and just sew bags of the appropriate size and fill with the
> seeds and herbs.  If you need a large bag, make several pockets so that the
> seeds stay well distributed.  Heat in microwave for 1 1/2 to 2
> minutes...enjoy.
> Sine ni Dheaghaidh

       I have made bunches of similar bags, but used the cheap white rice you
buy in bulk at the grocery. Works equally well, but costs a lot less. My mom
also got a very nice bag years ago that contained cherry pits. Those were
slightly less comfy to lie on, but they hold the heat very well indeed. If
you happened to have a source for the pits it would be worth a
try............ :-) Oh, and my mom *has* kept rice bags in the freezer, too,
to use as a cold pack. They don't hold cold quite as well as heat but are
still pretty effective. Certainly easier to deal with than an ice pack!
       By the way, I've found that the scent of heating rice doesn't blend
well with many herbs somehow. Of the ones I've tried, the rosemary and
lavender do seem to be the best, at least to my nose!

                               Diana,