[Herbalist] Re: Lavender butter

Tracy Bossinger sionnach1025 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 11:34:57 PDT 2002

> This lady needs help with a recipe
> She was also told that there is edible and nonedible
> lavender. Is there a
> difference?
> Rhiannon

The recipe I have for it (not from a period cookbook,
but don't see why it wouldn't apply) is as follows:

1/2 lb (2 Sticks) butter, preferably unsalted
5 tablespoons chopped fresh or 5 teaspoons dried
herbs/flowers (flowers would be used for lavender
butter, of course)
1 teaspoon lemon juice or a few gratings lemon zest
(optional)

Chop the herbs/flowers finely. Cream the butter &
blend in herbs and juice/zest, if using.

It also says to use it within 6 months.

As far as I know, the only warning for lavender as far
as being edible is to beware of lavender sold in craft
stores for potpourri, since it may have been treated
with non-edible preservatives. Someone else on the
list may know better than I, however.

I hope this helps!
:}
Tracy