[Herbalist] Vol 1 #236 - More Lavender

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Aug 25 18:13:59 PDT 2002

Hi
will i've found my Growing guide but not the cooking
and history book

It is extremely important when using vegetation in
cooking to know it's growing history and its genus +

a flower grown for the floral market is dosed in
chemicals designed to aid in the perfect long lasting
glossy petalled specimin

and is not designed to be eaten ( and I sometime
wonder about the tastless Vegetables availible that
look great but are artificial mock ripened)

so go Organic or best grow your own

But make sure you identify the Plant before you eat it

(or serve it- and check the garnishes as well)

which is why if you don't know which lavender your
using - find out

heres an brief over view from Virginia Mc Naughtons
Lavender the New Zealand Gardeners Guide

genus lavandula -30 species

6 sections

1  lanvandula (formaly spica)this is the one I'd use
 for taste reasons
2  Stoechas
3   Dentata
4  pterostoechas
5  Chaetostachys
6  Subnuda

Lavandula angustfolia-(also known as L.vera,
L.officinalis, L. spica - since these classifications
are now incorrect it dose not mean that lavender you
find labled this way are automaticly L.angustfolia
-its a classification hic-cup)

so more later I love lavender (angustfolia) and honey
icecream and scones

Lady B

=====