[Herbalist] dilutions of FO and EO question

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue Jan 1 08:44:05 PST 2002

> When I first started making perfume oils, I was advised to dilute my
> fragrance oil to about 1 part FO to 3 or 4 parts carrier.
> I have some perfume oil recipies that use EO, and seem to be about 50/50
> (they read - so many drops of the various EOs, then fill rest of 1/4 oz
> bottle with carrier)
> I recently ran across someone who said theirs was diluted 1 part fragrance
> to 10 parts carrier.

Sorry for the delay. When I bother to look it up, I usually use the
proportions from _Perfumes, Splashes and Colognes_ by Nancy M. Booth. She
suggests no more than 30-40 drops of oil to the following quantities:
- Perfume: 1/8 oz 100 proof vodka
- Eau de Parfum: 1/4 oz 100 proof vodka
- Eau de Toilette: 1/2 oz 100 proof vodka
- Sweet waters: 1 oz of 100 proof vodka and 3 oz distilled water
- Perfume oil: same as perfume.

Me, I tend to make perfumes with 8-15 drops of EOs and FOs in a 2-4 oz
bottle of carrier-- either plain oil or 1 part vodka to 1-2 parts
distilled water (ok, I add the oils to the vodka, check the proportions,
and add water). That way you generally don't have to carry Benadryl for
those around you when you wear it in the SCA!

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"My silences had not protected me.  Your silences will not protect
you....  What are the words you do not yet  have?  What are the tyrannies
you swallow day by day and attempt to make your own, until you will
sicken and die of  them, still in silence?" -- Audre Lourde