[Herbalist] marshmallows

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 1 10:13:20 PDT 2002

There was a show on the Food Network some time back that covered the history
of marshmallow candies, medicines, and the invention of the jet-puff process
in the 20th century that gave us the puff balls we know today.  They started
with showing engravings on Egyptian hyrglyphics that seemed to be small
lumps of marshmallow sweets being offered up as a sweet meat.  They
re-created them and showed them as off-white/yellowish lumps on a broad leaf
(as a serving plate, similar to the wall carving.)  For many years, the
marshmallow was used to thicken medicinals, and was used as a sweet in 18th
cent. France.
Very interesting show, but no way to claim that they're period, unless
you're doing Egyptian!
Christianna