[Herbalist] freezing basil

audette@sapheron.org audette at sapheron.org
Mon Jul 15 14:35:31 PDT 2002

I worked at a pasta shop in high school where we would take our basil
cuttings (grew it hydroponically), and freeze them, and then use them
for sauces, or for basil pasta, or for bruschetta.  One of the neat
things about it, is you can freeze it in leaf form, without cutting it,
and if you get to it fast enough after taking it out of the freezer, you
can crunch it into small pieces (good for a lazy high school
student...).  Sorry to not mention that until _after_ you've got it all
cut up...

But, I never noticed a change in the taste.  All I could ever tell was
that it was very limp after thawing out, so you don't want to use it
then for anything where it needs crunchiness or firmness.

Audette

Seton1355 at aol.com <Seton1355 at aol.com> said:
:--
:[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
:Wish me luck! I just picked a whole bunch of basil. I washed it and chopped
:it small and am freezing it in ice cube sized portions to use later.  You
:guys sure this won't kill me?  I hope it tasted OK.
:Phillipa
:Herbalist mailing list
:Herbalist at ansteorra.org