[Herbalist] invasive climbing ivy

robert leonard rleonard at planetcable.net
Thu Jul 25 04:23:06 PDT 2002

on 7/23/02 10:43 PM, Wes Will at wwill at globaleyes.net wrote:

> At 05:32 PM 7/24/02 -0400, you wrote:
>> Hi, folks:  I have just managed to kill an incredibly fast growing, woody,
>> strong, well rooted ivy
>> If anyone can identify it, please let me know.  Or is there a source online
>> with PICTURES?
>> Thanks!
>> Bob
>
> Odds-on that it's an import, to wit Hedera Helix, or "English Ivy".  Check
> these pics,  this first one in particular:
>
> http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0580097
> http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0580099
> http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0580096
> http://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=0580095
>
> The leaves vary a bit, from a pronounced 5-pointed star to a somewhat
> rounded heart shape.  I just call it "Tree-Killer" or "House-Eater", and
> rip it up as it reappears.
>
> Do us all a favour, please:  KILL THIS STUFF !!  I hate it.  Despise it.
> loathe it, even.  Don't let it get out!
>
> I've managed to extend the life of an extremely old maple by another decade
> or so by removing _several hundred feet_ of ivy careful from it's bark.
> The tree is still going to die, from disease and rot introduced by this
> nasty stuff, but I don't have to come up with an immediate solution for a
> dead 130 cm. diameter tree, 80 feet or more tall, haongin over my back deck
> and roof.  I can whittle the dying parts out a bit at a time and spread the
> demise out over at least another few years....
>
> --
> Eoin Caimbeul

Hello:  Thank you for your look.  I don't believe it is English Ivy.  But I
don't know enough about the varieties to really tell.  One of the features
of this invasisve is that it has tendrils that lead the growth.  It is
extremely fast growing.  Of course, I have selectively killed it, saving
even the common weeds from eradication.  I am going to visit a florist today
who has a lot of local knowledge.  Maybe he can Identify it.  I will get a
cutting from the other location I found where it is growing.  If I get a
positive id I will share it with everyone.

Thanks again!

Bob