[Herbalist] Re: TX botanical ideas

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Wed Jul 24 23:31:18 PDT 2002

If you have no grass in the yard, I would suggest looking at the buffalo
grass that is available.  It is more expensive to put in, I understand,
but is heat and drought tolerant (important in Ansteorra!) and only needs
to be mowed once or twice a year.  I have seen yards of it and it is
attractive = it kinda mounds up in little mounds.  It is brown in high
summer, though.  And I don't know how it feels to walk on...  Bermuda and
St. Augustine take more water and don't like dense shade...

One of the trees we put in a couple of years ago is a cedar elm.  It
seems to grow fast, and is a nicely shaped shade tree, supposed to be
good for this climate.  Some of the live oaks are also supposed to be
good.

Crepe myrtle are also good, summer color and like the climate, and I have
heard ginkos do well and fight air pollution.

Purple coneflower (echinacea) do well, bloom most of the summer, like
sun, drought tolerant.  It reseeds itself, and if you get too many, you
can dig it up and use the roots.  About 3 feet tall, leaves and stem
somewhat coarse and hairy.  Daylilies are nice perennials, like sun,
relatively drought tolerant.  Will spread (sometimes considered weeds).
Flowers edible, leaves and stalks can be used in basket making.  Yarrow
has pretty flowers in May that dry nicely, and ferny leaves that are good
to stop bleeding of wounds.  Very invasive!!!  Heat and droought
tolerant.  Above should be planted in spring.

For fall planting, consider what spring blooming bulbs you might like -
daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, grape hyacinths.  Plant these in November
or December.

Herbs that do better around here are more often the Mediterranean types
that don't mind the heat.  Mint family most often should be planted in
mostly shady areas that will get more water.

Drive around and see what you like.  Ask people about their yards.  See
if you can locate your area Master Gardeners - they can give you lots of
suggestions.

And if you come to Steppes and want to dig up some plants, let me know -
I have things to share....

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)

> >We're talking about a fair amount of gardening type things, and I  was
> >hoping someone in the Bryn Gwlad area could help me out.  I will  be
> >acquiring a bright shiney new home in a little over a month and a
half,
> >and was hoping to find some kind of gardening club or group that
might
> >be able to help me figure out what to do with the yard (having  never
had
> >one to play with before).
> >
> >The thing with a new home, is that the builder does _nothing_ with
the
> >back yard.  So, I'll have a bunch of dirt, and not much else...I've
got a couple books, but somehow talking to people about this sort