[Herbalist] The bean question

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 11 08:17:28 PST 2002

I just happen to teach a class at work on natural foods, and we cover the
bean problem in depth.  The culprit for beans is a carbohydrate called
raffinose sugar, one which humans lack the enzyme to digest.  There are
several ways to avoid the 'fart factor'.  Beano is a product sold in small
purse/pocket sized packages to add to your food when you're out and about,
and is basically a digestive enzyme that allows you to digest the unfamiliar
carb.  Soaking the beans and then discarding the soaking water will remove
much of the raffinose sugar.  Adding a bay leaf or asofaedtia (an Indian
spice) can help as well.  Adding a piece of kombu sea vegetable (sea weed)
to the cooking pot adds the digestive enzyme as well, and seems to work
best.   I've heard other ideas for herbs to add to the cooking pot, but none
that I can confirm anywhere.
Hope this helps,
Christianna