[Herbalist] More beans

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 11 15:14:54 PST 2002

          Vegetables included: the Alium family - onions, leeks, shallots,
scallions, garlic, chives; porrey/ potherbs - your average pot of cooked
greens; endive, mustard, spinach, beets (greens only), kholrabi, cabbages,
kale, chard, rape, broccoli (late period), brussel sprouts; celery; fennel;
root vegetables -  radishes, turnips, carrots, parsnips; olives; artichokes;
asparagus; cucumbers; eggplant; mushrooms; gourds; beans - peas, fava beans,
lentils, chickpeas, black-eyed peas; grains -  oats, barley, rye, wheat,
spelt, millet (“corn” was used as a generic term for any grain, Europeans
started calling maize by the same name when they saw it growing); bread
baked in loaves, rolls, colors, shapes, and trenchers to be used as plates.
 	Fruits were served whole, stewed, and candied, and included apple, pear,
quince, apricot, peach, cherry, grape, raisin, orange (sour), watermelon and
other melons, berries , fig, plum, pomegranate, date, currant, and prune.
Pineapple and bananas were known, but unusual.  Nuts available were
hazelnut, almond, pistachio, walnut, and chestnut.
Mistress Christianna