[Herbalist] vegetable dyes

Linda Lighfoot alanadarkfire at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 11:54:04 PST 2002

When I was doing pysanky eggs for A&S classes &
competition, I ran across some mention of the older,
vegetable-based dyes. I think I did a net search under
the various spellings for pysanky/pysaka/Ukranian
eggs. I also had at one time some copies and a booklet
on this art.

Siobhan ni Ahearn

>snip .....Well, I'm concentrating on red and yellow
>right now. I've tried spinach and could not get
>significant green color from it. I have used the red
>cabbage, but have found no documentation for it as a
>food color in period; beetroot may be period but red
>beetroot is questionable; paprika isn't documented to
>period; I don't have access lingonberry (European
>Cranberry)at the moment, nor do I have access to
>apple bark or nettles.

The dyes I'm currently testing are:
Red
             Saunders (Red Sandalwood)