[Herbalist] Help-- toxicity data?

Kathleen H. Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Mar 21 06:12:33 PST 2002

> I'm working on an egg-dyeing project, and am suddenly looking at the
> toxicity of period
> dyestuffs that might have been used on eggs-- and can can't find this listed
> in my books. The
> dyestuffs I'm interested in are:
> - madder

First edition PDR for Herbal Medicines says
"madder root contains lucidin. Lucidin is positive in various bacterial strains
using the Ames test.  The substance induces concentration-dependent gene
mutations and DNA strand cleavage.  Therefore, there exists a strong indication
that lucidin is mutagenic and carcinogenic"

> - bedstraw (lady's or dyer's)

Lady's bedstraw in PDR - medicinal herb is the aboveground plant.  "Health risks
or side effects from proper administration of designated theraputic dosages are
not recorded."

> - alkanet (I believe this is also a food colorant, so I _think_ it may be
> safe).

Alkanna tinctoria  common name alkanna, but other common names give are ancusa,
dyer's bugloss, Spanish bugloss, alkanet root

Medicinal part:  root of plant (dried roots and rhizomes)
Precautions:  Hepatotoxicity and carginogenicity are expected due to the
pyrrolizidine alkaloids with1,2-unsaturated necic parent substances in its
makeup. Alkanna should not be taken internally for this reason.

> - brazilwood

not in the PDR, don't know how to check that one

Agnes