[Herbalist] Why do you think they are abortifictive? & the song

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Thu May 30 00:05:26 PDT 2002

RE: [Herbalist] Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.
Why do you think they are abortifictive?

The whole urban mythology of parsley sage rosemary and
Thyme as a Abortification recipie was a bit of folk
lore connected to the song, that I  firrst heard about
when suggesting the common herb series of articles to
our chronicler
 I hadn't heard it prior to this and felt curious as
they weren't herbs I linked with that purpose

and couldn't find any real connection
rosemary was used pre and post and the others were
diuretic but I couldn't see where that link came from

so I was hoping someone on the lst could provide the
link
thak you aura

 PSR&T are considered abortificients because in
combination with an expulsion herb such as pennyroyal
they can induce a miscarriage. (It is my understanding

however that PSR&T are uterine stimulants and such but
do not actually kill the embryo themselves.)

.
Other words include: 'Savory, sage, rosemary, and
thyme', and the song
can
be dated into period with a Child ballad called "The
Elfin Knight".

Christianna
I used the  dating  because it was the earliest
reference I had using the PSR&T,chorus- I have heard
of the elfin king but Have misplaced my research
photocopies, so am going on memory here I believe the
version was called winchester, fair or worchester
and included similar impossible love tasks sowing the
sea etc.

I'd love to have an earlier reference and to be able
to perform the piece, we have some very keen
performers in Ildhafn.

The chicken recipie sounds yummy please share
quantities.

thankyou for every ones kind responce I am still
tweaking the end article having just reada parsley
growing quote.

Bea
Beatriz of Ildhafn

=====