[Herbalist] Sources for supplies

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:30:56 PST 2003

Where are you located?  Me giving you sources in Sacramento won't help much
if you're in Dallas, Atlanta, or Springfield!

Around here (yes, this is Sacto.), there is a Beekeeping supply house on X
near 21st.  (They have the best prices I've seen on beeswax.  I picked up a
rather massive hunk of unprocessessed beeswax a while back for really,
really cheap.  (Sadly, I do not remember the weight, nor the price.  It was
"bulk" wax, meaning odd-shaped chunks, not the pretty pre-shaped stuff, so
there was no 'standard' weight.  I'd have to get a scale...)  I remember it
was about half the price-per-pound I'd seen elsewhere.

Check your phonebook under "bees" and "beekeeping" to see if you have a
similar supply-house.  Then check them out:  In addition to hives &
beekeeping supplies, they may sell bee-products, and the prices will
probably be lower than elsewhere.  (One less middle-man is involved.)

Here are some US sites (many were UK) I pulled off Google that carry
beeswax:
http://www.dadant.com/catalog/default.php?osCsid=835e7d8514928eab5e53f2c5a2f6c5e3&cPath=77

http://www.betterbee.com/departments2.asp?dept=156&top=154&bottom=155&title=CANDLEMAKING+SUPPLIES

http://www.blossomland.com/beeswax.html?open=21

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_List.cfm?PC=4&PSC=73&ProductCat_Name=Beeswax&Token=68.164.77.237:{ts_2003-12-04_17:27:11}-856217

Likewise, here is a list of beekeeper's personal pages.  (I haven't browsed
this yet, but I'm willing to wager many sell wax & honey):

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Beekeeping/weblinks.htm#other

For herbs, check out your local health-food store.  Buy herbs in bulk, not
in bottles.  (You can save empty bottles & jars to store them in.  I like
empty jelly-jars, but I've also used old baby-food jars.)  Be sure to label
the jars... and for that matter, be sure to label the herbs you buy while
still in the store!

-- Katherine Blackthorne
Kingdom of the West
Principality of Cynagua