[Herbalist] Re: Herbalist Digest, Vol 6, Issue 5

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 18:27:49 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/10/2003 1:01:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tara at kolaviv.com writes:

Does anybody out there have a source for organic lanolin?

No, I get mine from the pharmacy, usually they have it. and I only use about
four ounces at a time tops..... but it's not labeld organic, it IS labled
anhydrous, which I assume means it's extracted in some water process.

And, has
anybody tried making salves with lanolin as the base?  I took Jadwiga's
class on salves and ointments a few years ago, and she focused on
beeswax and lard/shortening.  Would I use lanolin just like lard?

Lanolin does not act like lard, it stinks when heated, but makes a smooth
ointment base and yes, it REALLY helps dry skin. Try adding a little coconut oil
to it while it's warm, or even in the ointment base as it's heated. A little
beeswax helps it solidify when it eventually cools. Makes for a smooth
ointment, and seems good for the skin.

I'm not much on precise measurments, but if I've been unclear or there are
other questions, ask away, I'll answer as I can.

Corwyn

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke