[Herbalist] bruise salve

Elizabeth Anderson anderliz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 06:37:51 PST 2003

Here is what I had in my email herb folder, I hope it helps. - Elizabet

BRUISE JUICE
by Herbalist's Fellowship, City-State of Marinus
from Compleat Anachronist #27 - An Herbal Grimoire

You will need the following quantities of these herbs:

        1/4 cup arnica flowers (Arnica montana)
        1/4 cup witch-hazel leaves (Hamamelis virginiana)
        3 1/2 ounces comfrey root powder (Symphytum officinal)
        9 ounces St. John's Wort flowers (Hypericum perforatum)
        1/2 cup powdered black willow bark (Salix nigra)

You will also need the following:

        5 cups 70% (isopropyl) alcohol
        36 fluid ounces olive oil

Make a tincture of both the arnica flowers and witch-hazel leaves as
follows:

        1)  Mix dried plant material with 70% alcohol in a 1:10 ratio.
        2)  After letting it set for 14 days, strain through a muslin
cloth,
pressing out as much liquid as you can.
        3)  Leave for 2 days to settle, then filter out any sediment.

Make a decoction of comfrey root powder as follows:

        1)  Mix root powder with two pints water (spring water is best,
                or well-filtered tap water, if not heavily chlorinated)
                and boil for 10 minutes.
        2)  Strain the liquid.

Make oil of St. John's Wort flowers as follows:

        1)  Crush the flowers in a mortar and pestle, then combine it
                with the 2 pints of comfrey decoction.  If short of 2
                pints, add enough water to make the proper volume.
        2)  Add 18 fluid ounces of olive oil, mix well.
        3)  Pour into a large clear glass jar with a wide neck. Leave
uncovered
in a warm place until fermentation occurs
                (about 3 to 5 days).
        4)  Put on an airtight lid and keep away from light until
                the contents take on a red color (about 6 weeks).
        5)  Pour off the mixture, discarding remaining plant material.
Keep
airtight until needed.

Make oil of black willow bark powder as follows:

        1)  Mix bark powder with 18 fluid ounces of olive oil.
        2)  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and allow to simmer
uncovered for
10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
        3)  When cool, pour into large container.

Mix completed oil of black willow bark, oil of St. John's Wort flowers,
and
tincture of arnica and witch-hazel together in a LARGE container, stir
vigorously until well-mixed. Pour off into sterile, air-tight,
resealable
(preferably green or dark glass) bottles.

Makes about 1/2 to 3/4 gallons of bruise juice. Stored in a cool dry
place
in good containers, it should last 1 to 3 years (if it doesn't all get
used
the first week).

DIRECTIONS FOR USE:

For use as ointment/liniment for bruises, sprains, and sore joints. DO
NOT
TAKE INTERNALLY. Apply liberally to sore area (avoiding mucous
membranes),
and rub in until ointment disappears into skin. Discontinue if
irritation
results. Avoid open wounds where possible. Apply as desired, but no
more
than 8 times daily, or irritation may result.

(Writer's note -- Surely you didn't think it was a 10 minute project?
Bruise juice takes at least 6 weeks to make, but ask any fighter --
it's
worth it. Good luck.)

 "tegan at pop-server.houston.rr.com" <tegan at pop-server.houston.rr.com> wrote:I have a recipe for bruise ointment, but I'm not sure if it's the one
you're thinking of. I'm also not sure if the person I got it from would
want me passing it around. Let me ask and I'll let you know.

Tegan