[Herbalist] bruise salve

foxryde foxryde at foxryde.com
Wed Feb 5 21:02:46 PST 2003

--
Has anyone actually ever made this concoction?  What makes the oil and the
alcohol stay mixed together - I don't see an emulsifier.  I also don't see
any preservative to keep the mixture from going bad (oil and water make a
wonderful bacterial soup - my research doesn't support alcohol as a
reliable buggie killer).

Comfrey root is for open wounds, the leaf is for bruises.  Arnica is
wonderful for bruising but a very bad idea for open wounds, SJW for nerve
pain.  I don't get why the witch hazel - where does one get the leaf?  It's
a powerful astringent - has it's uses, again mostly for open wounds.  Black
willow?  I can't even find it in my books - they all look at white willow
with great respect for pain and such.

I have seen this kicking around the 'net for year and have never seen it
actually made up.

I make just a simple infusion of herbs in olive oil that I sell as Weekend
Warrior Balm tm.  If you want to just check it out, go to our web
site.  There should be a link below or contact me directly off line.

Ever questioning,
Leonora

At 06:37 AM 2/5/03 -0800, you wrote:

>--
>
>Here is what I had in my email herb folder, I hope it helps. - Elizabet
>
>BRUISE JUICE
>by Herbalist's Fellowship, City-State of Marinus
>from Compleat Anachronist #27 - An Herbal Grimoire
>
>You will need the following quantities of these herbs:
>
>         1/4 cup arnica flowers (Arnica montana)
>         1/4 cup witch-hazel leaves (Hamamelis virginiana)
>         3 1/2 ounces comfrey root powder (Symphytum officinal)
>         9 ounces St. John's Wort flowers (Hypericum perforatum)
>         1/2 cup powdered black willow bark (Salix nigra)
>
>You will also need the following:
>
>         5 cups 70% (isopropyl) alcohol
>         36 fluid ounces olive oil
>
>Make a tincture of both the arnica flowers and witch-hazel leaves as
>follows:
>
>         1)  Mix dried plant material with 70% alcohol in a 1:10 ratio.
>         2)  After letting it set for 14 days, strain through a muslin
>cloth,
>pressing out as much liquid as you can.
>         3)  Leave for 2 days to settle, then filter out any sediment.
>
>Make a decoction of comfrey root powder as follows:
>
>         1)  Mix root powder with two pints water (spring water is best,
>                 or well-filtered tap water, if not heavily chlorinated)
>                 and boil for 10 minutes.
>         2)  Strain the liquid.
>
>Make oil of St. John's Wort flowers as follows:
>
>         1)  Crush the flowers in a mortar and pestle, then combine it
>                 with the 2 pints of comfrey decoction.  If short of 2
>                 pints, add enough water to make the proper volume.
>         2)  Add 18 fluid ounces of olive oil, mix well.
>         3)  Pour into a large clear glass jar with a wide neck. Leave
>uncovered
>in a warm place until fermentation occurs
>                 (about 3 to 5 days).
>         4)  Put on an airtight lid and keep away from light until
>                 the contents take on a red color (about 6 weeks).
>         5)  Pour off the mixture, discarding remaining plant material.
>Keep
>airtight until needed.
>
>Make oil of black willow bark powder as follows:
>
>         1)  Mix bark powder with 18 fluid ounces of olive oil.
>         2)  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and allow to simmer
>uncovered for
>10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
>         3)  When cool, pour into large container.
>
>Mix completed oil of black willow bark, oil of St. John's Wort flowers,
>and
>tincture of arnica and witch-hazel together in a LARGE container, stir
>vigorously until well-mixed. Pour off into sterile, air-tight,
>resealable
>(preferably green or dark glass) bottles.
>
>Makes about 1/2 to 3/4 gallons of bruise juice. Stored in a cool dry
>place
>in good containers, it should last 1 to 3 years (if it doesn't all get
>used
>the first week).
>
>DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
>
>For use as ointment/liniment for bruises, sprains, and sore joints. DO
> [...]

Fox Ryde Gardens - Handmade herbal products for bath, body, & spirit
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com

If you can't be a good example, then  you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
  -Catherine Aird
--

---