[Herbalist] Preservation of a product (was Bruise salve)

foxryde foxryde at foxryde.com
Thu Feb 6 08:36:13 PST 2003

--
At 09:35 PM 2/5/03 -0800, you wrote:

>At 09:02 PM 2/5/03,foxryde said something like:
>>--
>>Has anyone actually ever made this concoction?
>
>Yes, I've made it several times. The original article was written by Dame
>Catherine deSteele, former head of my household (first laurel for herbalism).

Cool.  I have never seen it attributed, so this is wonderful to know.

>>  What makes the oil and the
>>alcohol stay mixed together - I don't see an emulsifier.
>
>its not emulsified, so you shake it before use.

Ah, makes sense.

>>I also don't see
>>any preservative to keep the mixture from going bad (oil and water make a
>>wonderful bacterial soup - my research doesn't support alcohol as a
>>reliable buggie killer).
>
>I've never had it go bad. There's quite a bit of alcohol, and quite a bit
>of oil. Maybe its just not getting enough air for it to rot? I don't know,
>but it hasn't gone icky.   I had a problem once during the fermentation
>process with the SJW getting moldy, but it was salvageable.

In the professional field there has been quite a bit of discussion about
the preservative properties of ethanol.

There are several things going on in preservation of a product.

First - preserve the oils in the product from oxidation; for this Vitamin E
or benzoin gum are great and natural.  There are many others from Chemistry
Land, but I won't go into them now.  I have no idea if Vit E or benzoin gum
are period, although I suspect the latter is more likely to be.

Second - kill the extant buggies (technical term, don't 'cha know) in the
product.  It is suspected that ethanol works okay for this, but gets
overwhelmed if there are many and is not very good with fungus.  Some
essential oils seem to work for this okay.

Third - kill the buggies introduced by dipping fingers.  There are no
period and no natural things that do this.  There are many things which are
reputed to do this, but the science is not good or it has been found that
people are stretching the truth.  The continuous onslaught of buggies from
the dipping fingers overwhelm even the strongest preservative in time.

Something to be aware of is this: things can be quite infested and not show
signs of being "off" like bad smells, discolors, etc.  In the business of
lotions there are quite a few folks who are selling emulsions (which the
Bruise Juice is not) without preservatives.  This is not a good idea.  If
you are giving something away and not a business, your legal profile is
quite different.  I just prefer to not infest my friends.  <grin>

I think the Bruise Juice has several things going for it.  The alcohol most
likely kills off the extant buggies and as a juice, folks are most likely
shaking and pouring it out to use (which keeps the buggie teeming fingers
from getting in!).

Have you tried dispensing it with a sprizer bottle?  That might be
wonderful for bruises!

>>Comfrey root is for open wounds, the leaf is for bruises.  Arnica is
>>wonderful for bruising but a very bad idea for open wounds, SJW for nerve
>>pain.  I don't get why the witch hazel - where does one get the leaf?  It's
>>a powerful astringent - has it's uses, again mostly for open wounds.  Black
>>willow?  I can't even find it in my books - they all look at white willow
>>with great respect for pain and such.
>
>Yeah, it seems that black willow was common in the area that she lived when
>she wrote the article. Since she has moved to the west coast, we've just
>been using the white willow, which is what they have here.

Makes sense and is very period.  Use what you have in your back yard!  What
about the Witch Hazel?  Why is it in there?  Where do you get leaves?  In
the back yard again?  I use a Witch Hazel tincture in another one of my
products, but I make it with the bark.

>>I have seen this kicking around the 'net for year and have never seen it
>>actually made up.
>
>The one thing that isn't in the article is the mention of a scenting
>additive. I've used wintergreen (JUST A SMIDGE), and/or eucalyptus
>oil.  Catherine has also suggested camphor, etc.

I urge checking the toxicity of e.o.s carefully.  There are many people who
are sensitive to the "warming" oils.  Clove oil is considered very
sensitizing.  I got horrible burns from a menthol spray one time.

Thanks for your time!   I am glad to hear the origin of this recipe and
that it is in good use!

All the best,
Mistress Leonora

Fox Ryde Gardens - Handmade herbal products for bath, body, & spirit
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com

If you can't be a good example, then  you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
  -Catherine Aird
--

---