[Herbalist] A&S documentation help

Audette des Grenouilles audette at sapheron.org
Mon Feb 10 22:29:55 PST 2003

Elewyiss,

I have a book called The English Housewife, by Gervase Markham, isbn: 0-7735-1103-2

It was written (or, perhaps compiled) by Gervase Markham in 1615.  In chapter three, on distillations, they include a recipe for vinegar, and I'll quote it here:

"To make vinegar.
To make excellent strong vinegar, you shall brew the strongest ale that may be, and having tunned (footnote #44) it in a very strong vessel, you shall set it either in your garden or some other sage place abraod, where it may have the whole summer day's sun to shine upon it, and there let it lie till it be extreme sour, then into a hogshead of this vinegar put the leaves of four or five hundred damask roses, and after they have lain for hte space of a month therein, house the vinegar and draw it as you need."

footnote #44 says: "Put in a tun, or barrel."

There's another recipe for vinegar, a little longer to type out that involves beans and barberries and firkinn and rose leaves and elder flowers and sounds like it takes over a year to make it properly...

They're both fairly close to the end of the chapter.  It's pages 133 and 135 in my copy, but if you get a different printing of it, the page numbers might have altered...

That's about all the help I can offer.  If you want the other one typed out, I can, but you might want to have the book to refer to yourself.  It only cost me $20 Canadian when I bought it, so it shouldn't be too expensive if it can be found.

Audette

Carper, Rachel <Rachel.Carper at hp.com> said:
:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
:--
:[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
:Hello everybody,
:
:I am thinking of entering my home made vinegar in MidWinter A&S. The problem I face is I can not find any documentation for vinegar. While most extant cookbooks mention vinegar, none mention how it is made. Does anybody know of any texts that have a recipe for vinegar? Or would mentioning the early recipes containing vinegar be enough?
:
:Elewyiss
:Herbalist mailing list
:Herbalist at ansteorra.org