[Herbalist] Pomanders-roses

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jan 27 18:05:52 PST 2003

I'm interested in the history of pomanders
I've seen the decorated Orbs suspended on a chain
(tudor accesories)-and maybe falsely imagined these
stuffed with fragrant herbs or wax herb balls -basicly
a perfumed substance
and I've labeled these pomemander

Then theres the modern Practice of taking a citrus and
beribboning it then inserting cloves in it and rolling
it in a spice mix-dried it makes a perfumed ball

now oranges as we know them are 17th century or 20th

what would a period Pomemander be?

 and

 when did the cloven orange type appear??

Bj of Nz -Bea of Ildhafn

=====