[Herbalist] saffron

Tara Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Fri Jun 20 08:44:41 PDT 2003

>Saffron is the most precious and most expensive spice in the world.

A gentleman who runs an ice cream parlor in Bethlehem, PA made an
interesting point to me.  He makes all his own ice creams with natural
ingredients, and one of them is a saffron ice cream.  He is from India,
and (like all Indian families I know,) he goes through saffron both at
home and in his shop by the kilo.  He said that saffron may be the most
expensive spice literally, but in practice, vanilla is.  This is because
for any single use, you use much more vanilla.  The big pinch of saffron
that I add to paella may be worth fifty cents or a dollar, but the
single vanilla bean that I use for a dessert is worth three or four
dollars.  That's why artificial vanilla is so common.

Just something to contemplate :)

-Magdalena vander Brugghe