[Herbalist] Compin

Wes Will wwill at globaleyes.net
Tue Mar 4 16:59:19 PST 2003

>I would like to try Compin on a tumor located on the tail of our horse....
>Can you be so kind as to furnish a source?

The usual "Try at your own risk - this is dangerous stuff, you were warned,
see a vet for the horse's sake" applies here.  Applies double-strength, for
bloodroot!  It's strong medicine.

"Compin" would likely be "Compound X", or "Black Salve", a paste of
bloodroot extract and zinc chloride ointment, as I know it, and quite a
potent anti-biotic/anti-bacterial compound with various escharotic uses.
historically, it was used by the various North American aboriginal groups
(including my tribe, the Cherokee) for treating polyps, tumors, warts, and
cancers.  it is also a strong anti-bacterial agent, and has been used in
times agone instead of amputation for infections as severe as gangrene.
When compounded as a salve, it is applied liberally, covered lightly when
possible, twice a day.

Bloodroot is Sanguinaria Canadensis, a common North American native herb
also known as "Indian Paint", Indian Plantain", "Mud Plantain", "puccoon"
(red puccoon - there is also white puccoon, which is actually goldenseal,
Hydrastis Canadensis, another escharotic compound that you might look into
in the treatment of your equine friend), and several other odd names.  It
is used also (as well as for tumerous issues) for things as diverse as
gingivitis and asthma.

The plant grows wild in many parts of North America, prefering deep woods,
moist soils, and low light, in general.  There are small white/yellow
flowers in the early spring, leaves until the hot weather gets a good hold,
and then mostly nothing until cool wet weather in the fall (sometimes not
until the next spring).  It is slow growing, generally, and not at all a
showy plant.  Quiet and retiring, really.

The root, a knotty, forked thing, bleeds when cut or broken.  Honestly, the
name is accurate, it looks like blood.  It even 'clots', sort of, after
being in the open air for awhile.  I have prepared it by macerating the
root and straining the fresh sap through filter paper.  Wear rubber gloves!
 If you get the fresh sap on your hands, you'll know it double-quick, as it
tends to be absorbed quickly through the skin.  You'll likely get dizzy,
maybe nauseous, maybe a migraine headache.  It also might cause a rash or
inflammation on the site it was absorbed.

The "Black Salve", or  "Compound X", is generally produced from fresh
bloodroot root extract and zinc chloride ointment.  Compounding it is quite
easy, though making it an exact, repeatable formula is, as usual with
herbal preparations, a challenge.  Apparently a 1/3rd bloodroot, 2/3rd zinc
chloride misture will make a strong topical anti-cancer agent.  Apply
sparingly especially at first.  Be prepared for inflammation reactions, and
possibly other allergic symptoms.  This is STRONG medicine, not to be
trifled with.  The zinc chloride seems to serve as more than just a good
base for the salve, having synergistic properties.  It doesn't keep, only
prepare what you need for one or at most two days, and keep that
refrigerated in a tightly-sealed, opaque container.

There are several on-line suppliers of bloodroot extractives.  I would
search for one that has a stabilised, standardised formulation and try
that.  Gathering your own from the wild is a pleasant and rewarding
experience, when approached in the proper spirit, but results in a medicine
of unknown strength.

After a brief search, I find - but do not know anything about nor
recommend!  Caveat Emptor!  Research and ask questions! - the following:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/
http://woodlandessence.com/herbal.htm
http://thetillery.bizland.com/Five%20Bears%20Trading%20Company.htm
http://www.greencanyon.com/products/p101502.htm

I am certain there are many others.  Check local suppliers, such as food
co-ops and herbal apothecaries.

There might still be scarring, dependent upon the secondary infections and
other things growing in the tumorous area of your horses tail, so be
prepared with skin healing ointments as well.  Vitamin 'E' compounds,
lanolins, tea tree extracts, all the usual things for skin of humans, will
work with your horse as well.

--
Eoin Caimbeul

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.  (Groucho Marx)