[Herbalist] oranges and Soap wort- and apples

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Oct 24 12:51:33 PDT 2003

 Two things I would like to ask advice about
Oranges
while I was researching Pomanders, and trying to find
an early reference to oranges stuffed with cloves.
I started to ponder oranges
at which stage do they become Popular in UK and
Europe.
did they originate in Asia and travel via trade routes
dose any one have a good resource for me.

Soap wort

I am experimenting with soap making- back to pomanders
again.

Having done the fat saphonification route.
I am now experimenting with soap wort and bubbly herbs
-Bushman's soap etc.

My basic recipe goes,- gather leaves and Cover with
boiling water, throw some lemon balm in for scent.
soapy gel results

Roots apparently would work better, but as I am only
just starting my soap work ground cover,  they will
not be available till next year.

any recipes out there?

Thank you

And Thank you for asking about apples a new pathway of
discovery Period Pippins

 on apples; Nz and Aus are sadly lacking some of the
older tastier ,what can be referred to as Cooking
varieties as our Orchards Become cloned forests of
commercially viable ranges Provided by Big
corporations and undoubtedly about to be genetically
engineered to be --------whoops starting a rant.

take two steps back

For old fashioned Varieties I plan to approach the NZ
organic Farms and societies and to approach the NZ
historical societies to see if I can get some cuttings
to graft to the trees I am already Growing.

I am also experimenting with the root stock upon which
My commercially brought varieties are  Grafted to.

The trouble with Most Historical reference is that
Linnaeus hadn't been born,

therefore we really are in the dark about what Variety
was grown, or used.

They use of pippin in the name is always a good sign,
to me- and now I will go and research what apples were
called in other languages
always stage one when trying to find out  about period
food.
its a interesting starting point.

Beatriz

=====