[Herbalist] Growing stuff this summer

Sheron Buchele Rowland foxryde at foxryde.com
Thu Aug 19 09:50:59 PDT 2004

Here in the front range of Colorado, it's actually been a wet summer.  We
have actual water that falls from the sky!  There are places in eastern CO
that have not had significant rain for over a decade that have actual
puddles on the ground.

You can order good herb plants from Rabbit Shadow Farms here in Loveland,
CO.  They advertise sometimes in the Herb Companion.

Your poor garden!  I don't like growing from seed anymore especially with
herbs.  My luck has been really abysmal in general.  Yes, basil and thyme
are easy, but so many are just not!  We have had herds of elk and black
tailed deer through this spring and summer.  They love tulip buds!  They
ate all of my spring flowers or trampled them that were nummy.

If you want to come by and dig, I have tons of thyme and oregano.  They
haven't been at all discouraged by the rain.  We have had 5 years of hard
drought and then this midwestern style summer.  It is too weird.  We even
have humidity!

Hope things get better for you!  I like to plant in the late summer or
early fall for my baby herb plants.  They seem to get a toe hold better and
then the winter rests them.  Then they act like 3 year old plants the
following spring.

Hope everyone is doing alright.  My closed head injury is much better but I
am still not what I was or out of pain.

Any fun projects going on?

Leonora
Outlands