[Herbalist] Good old sun

Nelwynne de Perci nellwynn0 at lycos.com
Wed Aug 25 10:10:09 PDT 2004

I've discovered having lived in both TX and OK that a lot of the herbs and plants in general that they swear love full sun don't really like our full afternoon western sun.  I think it's the difference between the original plants and the newer hybrids.  I've got some tomatoes that get about 5 hours full sun and are outdoing themselves.  Most of my herbs are somewhat shaded, get 5 to 7 hours and are perfectly happy.

What made me twig to the hybrid possibility is my irises.  The ones that are 30 or more years old do well in all the sun they can get.  The newer hybrids glower at me and refuse to bloom if they get afternoon sun.  I finally got so frustrated that I made a sun diagram of my yard.  Each 2 weeks from April through August I went out every 2 hours and drew out where the sun was.  Now I know exactly how much sun that spot gets.  Makes life so much easier.

Another thing you have to consider is reflected heat.  The sun itself may be alright but if it reflects off a white house or radiates heat from a brick one it can cause problems.  'Course, you can use that, too.  The house across a double drive from me on the north is white.  Because of that I can plant "sun" plants on the north side of my house.  The summer sun reflects from it.

Although I don't do any, I had a thought on container planting.  Do you suppose, especially when they are on the west side, that the roots get too hot.  I have no idea if that is possible but it's a thought.

Hope this helps someone,

Nell