[Herbalist] Soap- How would they Have created Lye?

Sheron Buchele Rowland foxryde at foxryde.com
Sun Feb 1 23:15:47 PST 2004

Greetings,

This charming story has been found to be apocryphal by archeologists.  Too
bad, it's a lot of fun.  It is usually Mount Sapho which makes it real
sexy.  It also talks about how the clothes washed at the foot of the
mountain were cleaner, etc.  I used it in a paper I wrote years ago as I
saw it repeated over and over.  But I do know that the latest thing I have
read was that the story has been debunked.  Which really makes me want to
un-publish my paper.  :-(

One of the interesting things about strong alkalis (like lye) is that when
you touch them, you get a slippery feeling when you rub your fingers
together.  I have been told that feeling comes from you turning to
soap.  Kinda creepy and Fight Club-like.

A lot of the historical soap things I have read say that the wood that you
make the ash from is critical.  The wood needs to have a very high sodium
content to make sodium hydroxide which is needed to make solid
soap.  Potassium hydroxide makes the soft and liquid soaps.  Most period
recipes that I have seen suggest putting a handful of salt into the soap to
make it firm.  This would agree with my experience with making lye and then
making a boiled soap.  It was very soft, dark, and harsh.  When sodium
burns, it makes the fire the yellow that you associate with fire.  I don't
know if all the sodium burns and only leaves behind the potassium unless
there is a huge excess of sodium (like with a beach environment adapted
wood) or if there is some other mechanism.

This is a very cool thread.  It makes me wish I weren't so frantic
pre-Estrella to be able to think and research some more.

Leonora
Unser Hafen
Outlands